Our Adoption Center reopens to the Public on July 6, 2021
All Adoptions will still be Handled on an Appointment-only Basis
Guidelines to Adopt
Please read this section thoroughly before submitting an application or heading to the Adoption Center.
- Please note that we only consider adoption applications from Illinois residents who live in the following counties: Cook, Dupage, Kane, Kendall, Lake, McHenry and Will. No out of state applications will be accepted at this time.
- Appointments are made for only one animal; no one may walk through the shelter to view all the animals.
- Per the CDC guidelines, if you are fully vaccinated, you will not need to wear a mask at the Adoption Center. If you are not fully vaccinated, immune-compromised or are not comfortable removing your mask in a public setting or being in a smaller space during your appointment, then you should continue to wear a mask.
- We accept credit/debit card (Visa/Mastercard/Discover/American Express) as the preferred payment for the adoption fee, cashiers’ check or cash also accepted – no personal checks please.
- For the well being of our animals, the public is not allowed in the animal areas at this time.
- View our adoptable dogs and cats via our website to learn more information about animals up for adoption.
- If you are interested in meeting an animal or if you would like our staff to assistt you with this process, complete an Adoption Application.
- Once your application is reviewed and approved, an adoption counselor will contact you to schedule an in-person meet and greet with that pet. Please note that a submitted application does not place that pet on hold for you or guarantee that you will be able to meet that pet.
- Each appointment is limited to one hour and meet and greets for dogs are done in an outside play area, weather permitting.
- We will process adoption fees and paperwork. Animals that are already spayed/neutered may be available to go home the same day.
- Please make sure to bring a cat carrier if you are adopting a cat or a leash if adopting a dog and please no retractable leashes.
- After the meet and greet, WSHS may require a 24-hour waiting period before completing the adoption
You get a lot of bang for your buck with our adoption fees:
|Up to 1 year old||$150||Up to 1 year old||$300|
|1 year to 6 years old||$85||1 year up to 6 years old||$200|
|7 years and older||$35||7 years and older||$125|
Our Fees Cover All of This!
|For Cats:||For Dogs:|
|Spay or neuter surgery||Spay or neuter surgery|
|Microchip and registration||Microchip and registration|
|ID tag||Collar with ID tag|
|FVRCP vaccine||Flea preventative|
|Deworming||Heartworm check and preventative|
|Flea preventative||DALP-PV vaccine|
|Ear-mite check and treatment (if necessary)||Deworming|
|2F Test||Bordatella vaccine|
|Fecal and treatment (if necessary)||Fecal and treatment (if necessary)|
Some dogs even come with a free training session! And through our Adopt A Buddy Program, you can adopt any cat and/or kitten for the regular adoption fee and get a second cat/kitten for half of the regular fee. This offer is good for up to 6 months after the first adoption!
Thank you for considering adopting from the West Suburban Humane Society!
WSHS does its best to match adopters with the dog or cat that would be best suited to their family situation and lifestyle.