Thank you for considering adopting from the West Suburban Humane Society!
WSHS does its best to match adopters with the dog or cat that would be best suited to their family situation and lifestyle.
Here is how our adoption process works:
- You can learn about our adoptable pets either from our virtual kennel and virtual cattery or you can visit the shelter during our open hours to see the dogs and cats in person.
- Complete an Adoption Application when you visit the shelter or save time and fill out an application before you arrive!
- Once at the shelter, one our staffers or volunteers will lead you to the kennel or cattery where you can see the dogs and cats.
- If you find any animal you're interested in, one of our friendly volunteers will introduce you personally to the animal so you can get to know each other.
- We ask that all members of the household where the animal will reside meet the animal. This includes non-human members too! Don't worry if you're not all there at once; we can work around busy schedules to set up additional meetings!
- If you'd like to proceed with an adoption, you and a volunteer or staffer will discuss whether the animal is well suited for your household. At that time, the animal will be placed on a 24-hour hold so you carefully think about your decision overnight.
- The hold means that we won't show the animal to anyone else - you get first dibs!
- When the hold ends, and if you decide you want to proceed with the adoption, we'll get the paperwork started!
You get a lot of bang for your buck with our adoption fees!
|Up to 6 months old||$100||Up to 1 year old||$200|
|6 months to 5 years old||$75||1 year up to 7 years old||$150|
|5 years and older||$25||7 years and older||$75|
The fees cover all of this!
|For Cats:||For Dogs:|
|Spay or neuter surgery||Spay or neuter surgery|
|Collar with ID tag||Collar with ID tag|
|FVRCP vaccine||Flea preventative|
|Deworming||Heartworm check and preventative|
|Flea preventative||DALP-PV vaccine|
|Ear-mite check and treatment (if necessary)||Deworming|
|2F Test||Bordatella vaccine|
|Canine Influenza vaccine|
Some dogs even come with a free training session! And through our Adopt A Buddy Program, you can adopt any cat and/or kitten for the regular adoption fee and get a second cat/kitten for half of the regular fee. This offer is good for up to 6 months after the first adoption!